Category, Product and Content Restrictions
Customers trust that they can always buy with confidence on Amazon. As a seller on the Amazon website, it is your responsibility to make sure that both you and your products comply with all applicable laws and Amazon policies.
You should carefully review the "Examples of Permitted and Prohibited Listings by Category" and the “Restrictions Affecting All Items” sections shown below before listing a product on Amazon.
The examples provided in these Help Pages are not exhaustive and are not intended as legal advice. The links provided are for information purposes only and Amazon does not warrant the accuracy of any information provided in these links. We encourage you to consult with your legal advisor if you have questions about the laws and regulations concerning your products. Remember that even when a product is not prohibited, it must always comply with applicable laws. Also, you should regularly review Amazon policies, as these may change from time to time and we may restrict or prohibit products that are allowed by law.
For some product categories, sellers may not be able to create product listings without prior approval from Amazon. See the Categories Requiring Approval page for more information.
If you sell books on Amazon, check the Price Law for Books that may apply in your marketplace.
Finally, please note that additional restrictions may apply if you use Fulfilment by Amazon.
Consequences of Violations
Violating Amazon's policies on listing prohibited items may result in Amazon taking actions including:
- Cancellation of listing
- Limits on listing privileges
- Suspension of your listing privileges
- Removal of your selling privileges
Amazon reserves the right to make judgments in its sole discretion about whether or not a listing is appropriate. If we determine that the content of a product detail page or listing is prohibited, potentially illegal, or inappropriate, we may remove or alter it without prior notice.
Amazon encourages sellers to report listings that violate Amazon's policies or applicable law by using our Contact Us form. Please include all relevant information so that we can thoroughly investigate the case.
Examples of Permitted and Prohibited Listings by CategoryAnimals & Animal ProductsAutomotiveClothingCosmeticsCurrency, Coins, Cash Equivalents, and Gift CardsDrugs, Drug Paraphernalia & Dietary SupplementsElectronicsGambling and LotteryJewelleryMedical DevicesOtherSex & SensualityTobacco & Tobacco-Related ProductsWeapons
Restrictions Affecting All Items
Prohibited Content and General Restrictions
Intellectual Property Violations
Recalled, Hazardous and Dangerous Products
Additional Related Policies
Categories Requiring Approval
Fulfilment by Amazon: Product Restrictions
Related seller forum threads
Click the link below to enter the forum threads and discuss about category and product restrictions.
Prohibited Content and General Restrictions
- Illegal and potentially illegal products: all sellers are legally liable for ensuring that all products they sell on Amazon.it and their commercialization comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Promoting Illegal Use: Sellers must not promote illegal or prohibited uses of their products on Amazon.it
- Stolen property: the sale of stolen properties is prohibited on Amazon.it.
- Products that are the result or the profit of a crime.
- Offensive material: blasphemous items and contents, inciting religious intolerance, racial hatred, violence, homophobia or the commission of crimes are prohibited. Amazon reserves the right to verify, to the extent allowed by the law, if the products offered for sale on the site are of offensive or inappropriate nature and to adopt the necessary measures for their removal.
- Nudity: images, contents and items that portray explicit sexual acts or nudity contrary to public decency are prohibited.
- Advertisements: ads designed for advertising purposes and that contain links to third party websites or that involve the use of functionalities offered by third parties in order to place orders are prohibited.
- Download of digital products: it is forbidden to publish offers for the download of digital products, including codes that can be used to access contents available on third party websites or platforms.
- Region 1 DVDs: New region 1 DVDs are restricted products and are prohibited for sale on Amazon.it unless you have received pre-approval for such sales from Amazon.it. Only sellers residing in the USA or Canada that dispatch their products from the USA or Canada are eligible for pre-approval. Only new region 1 DVDs that have been age-rated in Canada or the US may be sold through Amazon.it, and the age rating must appear in the seller's region 1 DVD listing. Sellers of new region 1 DVDs are prohibited from selling more than one copy of any new region 1 DVD to any customer, or from selling any new region 1 DVD to any customer who is purchasing the DVD for commercial purposes.
- Plants, plant materials and seeds: Certain types of plants, seeds and other plant material may be prohibited or subject to regulations. We invite you to seek advice in advance from the Ministry of Agriculture in Italy to verify the existence of any restriction to sale or authorizations that may be required for the sale of such products in Italy.
- Services reserved to telecommunication service providers, insurance companies and financial intermediaries
- Film developing services
- Magazines and newspapers and related subscriptions
- Tools to help locating devices to prevent breaches of the rules of the road
- Students manuals with solutions
- Products from embargoed and sanctioned countries: products from, originating in, or produced in any of the countries currently sanctioned or embargoed by laws and regulations applicable to Amazon are not permitted for sale on Amazon.it.
Intellectual Property Violations
Products violating copyright, patent or trademark laws or any other intellectual property right are prohibited. Here are some examples of prohibitions:
- Counterfeit merchandise: Products offered for sale on Amazon.it must be authentic. Any product that has been illegally replicated, reproduced or commercialised in violation of third party industrial and intellectual property rights is prohibited.
- Unauthorised and unlicensed merchandise: All items offered for sale on Amazon.it must be commercially produced and authorised or licensed for sale as a retail product.
- Recopied media: Media products or other materials that have been recopied, dubbed, duplicated, or transferred without permission of the rights holder are illegal to sell and are prohibited. This includes:
- Books - Unauthorised copies of books are prohibited.
- Music - Bootlegs, unauthorised live concerts, unauthorised soundboard recordings, unauthorised merchandise, etc. are prohibited.
- Films - Unauthorised copies of films in any format are prohibited. Unreleased/pre-released movies, screeners, trailers, unpublished and unauthorised film scripts (no ISBN number), electronic press kits, and unauthorised props are also prohibited.
- Photos - Unauthorised copies of photos are prohibited.
- Radio programmes & Concerts - Unauthorised recordings or copies of recordings of radio programmes are prohibited.
- Software - Recopied or duplicated software in any format is prohibited. Academic, OEM, back-up, fulfilment, promotional, beta (pre-release), unauthorised freeware/shareware, military, shared software licenses and recovery discs are prohibited. Read our rules for selling software.
- Television programmes - Unauthorised copies of television programmes (including pay-per-view events), programmes never broadcast, unauthorised scripts, unauthorised props, and screeners/previews/trailers are prohibited.
- Video games - Video games sold on Amazon.it must be full retail versions. Recopied and transferred video games are prohibited. Mod chips, silver disks, video game emulators, Sega bootdisks, game enhancers, unauthorised video game compilations, unauthorised bundles of video game products, and unauthorised accessories are also prohibited.
- Cross-border media and parallel imports: Genuine branded goods that infringe a rights owner’s intellectual property rights within the European Economic Area (EEA) are prohibited. For more information, visit our EU Imports and Cross-Border Saleshelp page.
- Transferred media. Media transferred from one format to another is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: films converted from NTSC to Pal and Pal to NTSC, laserdisc to video, television to video, CD-ROM to cassette tape, from the Internet to any digital format etc.
- Promotional media: Promotional versions of media products, including books (advance reading copies and uncorrected proofs), music, and videos (screeners) are prohibited. These products are distributed for promotional consideration and generally are not authorised for retail distribution or sale.
- Products violating third party privacy and personal rights: third party images and/or names, including celebrities’, cannot be used for commercial purposes without permission of said third party or his/her representative. For example, lacking consent of the third party involved, names and images for product endorsements or on merchandise products such as posters, mouse pads, clocks, ect are prohibited. Furthermore, items that infringe upon, or have potential to infringe upon, any individual's privacy are prohibited.
Recalled, Hazardous & Dangerous Products
Because Amazon wants to ensure that products offered through Amazon.it are safe (that is, there is no risk that the equipment will cause death, personal injury or damage to property), listings for any products recalled by the manufacturer or by a government agency are prohibited. Amazon also reserves the right to take into account recalls made by government agencies of other countries.
Products that are not safe are prohibited. All new toys and electrical equipment must be CE marked. All toys and electrical equipment, whether new or used, must be safe. You must have used and refurbished electrical equipment tested by an expert prior to listing to verify that it is safe.
When selling allowed hazardous and dangerous items, it is your responsibility to store and transport them properly and with all the necessary security measures that may be required.
Examples of Prohibited Listings
- Products recalled by manufacturers
- Products recalled by the Ministero dello Sviluppo economico or by other governments’ agencies, such as CPSC, NHTSA, FDA, USDA-FSIS, EPA
- Products listed on a RAPEX report as posing a serious risk to the health and safety of consumers
- Products made of chemicals without necessary registration on the REACH-List
- Restricted/Regulated chemicals or for professional use only chemicals
- Chemicals that may damage the ozone layer, such as carbon tetrachloride
- Products intended to come into contact with foodstuffs (including products in contact with babies and infants’ mouths) containing bisphenol A (BPA)
- Certain hazardous items, such as:
- Batteries or accumulators, including button cell batteries, that contain more than 0,0005 % of mercury by weight or more than 0,002 % of cadmium by weight, except portable batteries and accumulators intended for use in: emergency and alarm systems; medical equipment (excluding cell batteries in hearing aids that are prohibited); cordless power tools
- Toy crossbows that have the capability of shooting small, sharp projectiles (e.g., toothpicks, pins)
Related Amazon Help Pages
Additional Useful Information